Synthetic Wig Care
Care For Synthetic Wig
What makes synthetic wigs great is that that need very little maintenance and care while allowing you to effortlessly have the perfect hair everyday. It just could not get easier to care for your synthetic hair. However, it is crucial to give proper care to your wig so that its life span can be extended and for you to make the most out of it. This article will explore the most important point that all synthetic wig wearers must know.
How To Care For Your Synthetic Wig
- Give a wig a thorough brushing gently using a wig brush before sending it to wash. However, do not brush wigs with a tight curl. Instead, use your fingers to remove tangles gently.
- Wig shampoo which is specifically catered to synthetic wigs should be used. Mix two capfuls of the shampoo with cold water in a basin or sink. Then, have the wig turned inside out before immersing it in the mixture. Let the wig soak for five minutes.
- Gently rinse through the wig using cold water until all shampoo is washed away.
- Apply one to two capfuls of wig conditioner to your synthetic wig, then leave it for about two minutes to allow the fibers of the wig to absorb the conditioner.
- Using cold water, rinse the wig gently to have all the conditioner removed. Then, wrap the wig using a towel, while also gentle pat out excessive water in it. Be sure not to rub it.
- To further condition the wig fibers, spritz a revitalizing conditioner over the entire surface of the hair.
- Caution: Do not use a curling iron, hair dryer or other drying aids on your wig to prevent fiber damage. The wigs should also be kept away from open flame and all sources of excess heat like cigarette lighters, barbecues, ovens, and stoves.
- Let your wig dry on a wig stand so that it can air dry thoroughly. Before the wig is completely dry, you should not comb or brush it. You may use a hair pick or wig brush to gently restore the wig’s styling.
- For your wig to have additional shine, body, and styling support, use a finishing spray to spray the entire hair surface.
How Often Should You Wash A Synthetic Wig
If you want your wig to last for a maximum useful life, you should wash your wig after wearing it for six to eight times. Oils and sweat residuals may build up inside of the cap if your wash the wig less frequently, and it will cause the fibers to break down, resulting in shortened useful life due to the break down of the fibers.
- Rinse the hair with some hair balsam or soak the wet wig into cool water up to ten minutes, and then wash out.
- Put hair conditioner on the wet wig. You may soak the wig in a mixture of water with the hair conditioner for ten minutes, but do not wash away the conditioner completely. Alternatively, you can sprinkle the wet wig evenly using a small amount of hair conditioner, at the distance of about fifteen to thirty centimeters.
- Get rid of static hair by sprinkling the wig with nourishing antistatic spray.
Synthetic Wig Care Tips
Exposure to Heat: Synthetic wigs may suffer permanent damage and the hair fibers singed if it is exposed to heat. Heated styling tools like hot rollers, flat irons, or curling irons can never be used on synthetic wigs. You should also be careful when you are cooking, and keep your head away from barbecue grills, stoves, or hot ovens. This is unless your synthetic wigs are specifically labeled to be “heat friendly”.
Hair Products: Be sure to use only hair products made for synthetic hair when caring for synthetic wigs. Regular hair shampoo, gels, hair spray or conditioner, are not friendly to synthetic wigs as they may cause build up on the wig, dulling the hair fibers and eventually shorten the wigs’ useful life.
Brushing Your Wig: When the synthetic wig is wet, do not brush it. As it will stretch the hair fibers, causing permanent damage to the hair. Be careful to use only combs and brushes made specially for synthetic wigs. This is because the conventional hair brush or comb would stress and stretch the synthetic hair fibers.