How To Detangle A Synthetic Wig
The synthetic wigs are beautifully flowing and soft when newly unboxed from their package. You smile as you stroke them, thinking that you would live happily ever after with them once they’re installed. Well, we hope so too. This is far from the truth, as even the most virgin, amazing, and tangle-free extensions would eventually get tangled. It could be due to one outdoor shopping trip, an extensive gym session, or that one night you forgot to wrap your hair before bed, that it just happened. Detangling a wig may require some effort, but you will be rewarded with it’s first-day amazingness after the process.
How To Fix A Wig That Is Messy And Detangle:
- You tangled wig
- Wig stand (it’s okay to substitute it with a bottle filled with water)
- Wig Detangler spray
- Wide tooth comb
- Fabric softener
- Bucket or Basin
- First, give your wig a wash. While some don’t recommend to start with washing the wig, you should know that the dirt in the wig is part of the reason why wig get tangled easily. You may use cold water to wash your wig, but if your wig is very dirty, we suggest using warm water instead. Careful that the water shouldn’t be too hot or it may damage the fiber of the wig. The use of warm water helps to make the dirt come loose and make it easier for you to get it off from the fiber without the need to swirl the wig.
How To Keep Synthetic Hair Soft?
- Fill your basin or bucket with cold or warm water, then pour the fabric softener into the water and mix them. The volume of fabric softener needed is according to the length of your wig, a cap for long hair wig or just half a cap for short one.
- Proceed to put the wig into the mixture, then leave it there for half an hour. Keep in mind that damp wig can be easily damaged, so don’t swirl or rub the wig. The reason that fabric softener is used is due to most of the wigs are either synthetic or a combination of synthetic fiber with human hair. Also, fabric softener would give moisture to the fiber, making it easier to comb. On the other hand, you can wash 100% human hair wig using human hair conditioner. The fabric softener helps to reduce the shiny materials in the wig, making it look more natural.
- After 30 minutes, rinse the wig using cold water before raising it to drain the excess water in it. Do not squeeze the wig. When your wig is wet, the fiber gets attached to each other. This is why we must avoid rubbing the wig when it’s wet. It’s okay to do so when it gets dry since the softener helps to loose and soften the fiber.
- Between the washes, make use of serum or a very light oil to moist the wig and keep it tangle-free. Heavy oils that can cause build-up or residuals should be avoided.
- Use a towel to cover your wig, and gently as you do so. Then press the towel slowly to ensure that the water in the wig is being absorbed to the towel. After that, leave it there for a while to keep the wig half damp.
- Allow the wig to air dry by hanging it. Caution that you shouldn’t let it dry under direct sunlight.
- Spray the “detangling synthetic wig solution” that you have prepared on the wig in a light mist.
- Use your fingers to remove some tangle, take time and some patience to do so gently. As you find the tangle with your fingers, move down slowly to have the tangle separated to remove it. This would work for a big bunch of tangle, and it would ease the use of a comb to separate smaller tangle. Get the sequence right, because if you comb it first, then the fiber may fall. This is what we seek to avoid.
- Have your wig evenly combed from bottom to top, which is in the reverse manner of our habit to comb our natural hair from scalp to bottom. Note that combing the wig from the root to bottom would make the fiber fall easily. In case you discover a tangle, comb it with a half-flip move, then gently push it to the bottom until the fiber is tangle-free.Continue to comb and separate the tangle until there’s no more tangle, and then you’re done! As for the frizz, you can remove it by using just a little bit of wig tangle spray and move your fingers around it.
- Now the washing is done, you can wear it afterward or store it. Remember to be gently on it so that the friction against it is minimized.
How To Take Care Of A Synthetic Wig
Given that you care for it properly, your synthetic wigs can last up to a year. A tangled wig not only looks messy, but it’s also a wasted investment. Care for your wig like a pro, store it in a proper way to avoid frizz, so that it won’t end up as a disheveled husk.